How to move the Web
application from one server farm to the other
Generally, we use backup and restore method to move one Web application
between server farms. To do this, follow the steps below:
Note: Both servers should be in the same service pack level and with the
same hotfixes. They should also have the same language (packs) and the
destination server farm should have a same site template.
1. On WSS 3.0 SP1 server, go to SharePoint Central Administration >
Operations > Perform a backup.
2. Select the Web application(s) you want to backup and click "Continue to
3. Choose a backup location and click on OK to start backup.
4. On MOSS 2007 server, go to SharePoint Central Administration >
Operations > Restore from Backup.
5. On the Restore from Backup: Step 1: Select Backup File page, in the
Backup File Location section, enter the path to the backup folder and click
6. On the Restore from Backup: Step 2: Select Backup Package to Restore
page, choose the target backup package, and then click Continue Restore
7. On the Restore from Backup: Step 3: Select Component to Restore page,
choose the restore level (Farm, Service, Database, or SSP) and, and then
click Continue Restore Process.
8. On the Restore from Backup: Step 4: Select Restore Options page, select
New configuration, provide the New Names , New web application name and
other database information. Then click OK in the dialog box that appears.
Administering backup and recovery [Objective]
Prepare to back up [Task]
Back up Office SharePoint Server 2007 by using built-in tools [Task]
Restore by using SQL Server tools [Task]
Post your questions, comments, feedbacks and suggestions
Contact a consultant
Microsoft SharePoint Issues
Authentication to WSS site fails in Internet access
Can't access Microsoft #SSEE with error 26
Internet Explorer cannot display WSS or SharePoint
Problem with downloaded a zip file from WSS
Received debug error when open Word stored in WSS
Word cannot compete the save due to a file permission error